Tax Alert: The Facts about the Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN)

Regardless of immigration status, immigrants working the United States generally are required to pay taxes, including income tax. Authorized workers can get social security numbers needed to file tax returns. Others who don’t have the required work authorized visas to qualify for social security numbers can apply for individual tax identification number (ITIN) from the Internal Revenue Service. The ITIN is a tax processing number to ensure that workers, including unauthorized immigrants, pay taxes even if they do not have a social security number.

Many immigrants have ITINs, including those who are lawfully in the U.S. but do not qualify for social security numbers. For example, the spouse and children of temporary visa workers can also get an ITIN so they can be claimed as dependents on the tax return.

To learn more about the ITIN, including how to apply, check out  The American Immigration Council’s fact sheet.

Published by Ann Massey Badmus

Ann Badmus helps foreign national medical providers and their employers successfully cut through immigration red tape for fast and timely employment. Through her unique Immigration Prescription Program, she skillfully solves even the most complex immigration problems. Her comprehensive and clear advice has helped thousands of providers, employers, and recruiters avoid immigration delays, saving time and expense and providing a stress-free experience for all. Ann is frequently invited to speak about immigration issues before various organizations, including medical associations such as the American Academy of Neurology. She has also published numerous immigration articles and has authored a well-received book, The Immigration Prescription: The Practical Guide to Immigration for Foreign Born Physicians.

Call Now ButtonCall